Monday 29 July 2013

Homemade baby food

Now that the allotment is in full swing, we are starting to be able to use some of the veggies we have grown. 



Mark planted seeds with the plan to feed the boys so currently we have growing:

Courgette
Potatoes
Green beans
French beans
Butternut squash
Carrots
Sweet corn
Leeks & onions
Raspberries
Black berries
Strawberries
Apples


This lovely selection is what we are getting every day:



All this can be used to make food for the boys rather than paying between 50p - £1 on jarred food in which for mains alone we would be using a minimum of 12 jars a week. 

Doesn't this look much better than glass jars full?



My first attempt was mixed courgette, potato, French bean and carrot purée with apple to sweeten it up.



After boiling all together for about 20 mins I drained them and put them in the food processor.



The end result was a rather attractive green slop!


 Now half way through this my mixer decided to burnout so I went manual with the potato ricer!

 



But a very good result! I put the mix into individual ice trays and put in the freezer.

Next was a sweet version using apples, black berries, raspberries and a few strawberries. As before I boiled them and whooshed them up (in the new food processor I got an hour earlier after taking the faulty one back)

This was a much prettier colour. Now because of ally the seeds I had to pass iit through a sieve after blending. The result was fabulous!



This went into an ice cube tray to freeze. This will probably be added to baby porridge.

With not too much effort I had created a few simple meals for the boys. I plan to do one with sweet potato this week and also another combination so I can switch between 3-4 different meals for them each week.


One final test - the taste test. I kept some of the green mush in a bowl for the evenings dinner. Try actually really liked it - thank god! 



Domestic goddess win!










No comments: