Saturday 4 April 2015

Taking time out

 Over the past few months I have noticed that Fin has these little moments where he just needs to break away from everything. The first time we noticed it was at my brothers house. We were all over there for Mothers Day tea and with 6 adults and 4 children. It was a bit noisy, nothing crazy but there was just a  lot going on. It was just after dinner when Fin took himself away from the table and decided to lay down on the sofa. He was there for about 15 minutes, not wanting anything, no cuddles, no food, just away from everyone and laying down with his donkey. He wasn't upset, just zoning out. After laying there with Nana keeping him company, he got up and was back to himself again, like nothing had happened.

The second time we noticed this was at a small soft play area at a garden center. It was very quiet there, unlike the usual hell holes that soft play are. He decided to lay down on one of the soft steps away from everyone and give himself 5 minutes out. Once he came back, he was fine and refreshed. I think with Fin is more sensitive to chaos and noise. His brain cant cope with so much going on and he needs to get away from it all and be by himself for a minute. 

The third time this happened, we went to a fellow twin parents house. There were 8 children, 6 of which were twins, two dads, me and Nana. After a particularly loud morning and following our 'picnic' lunch on the floor of a currently being refurbished kitchen, Fin decided to lay down. He was laying on a package which I think was the back board for some kitchen units. The bubble wrap must have been comfy.


 I gave him a pillow and covered him up with my coat and he was there for over 30 minutes. Again he was not upset. Just wanted to hide away from the noise. I decided not to worry about these moments and put them down to needing a break form everything. 

We all get our moments when work is hectic and we just need a tea break. Or there is so much going on around you, that you need to take yourself away and collect your self. I think that's what he is doing. I must admit that I did google autism signs as that was my first thought but after looking at them, I know hes OK. He gives eye contact, copies gestures, loves cuddles and is very affectionate.  I think being sensitive to your surroundings makes you wants to break away and regroup when things get too much.

Sammy on the other had can keep going all day. Nothing stops him. They both still have a two hour nap in the day and hopefully will continue to do so for a long time. Bit even with this, Fin still needs his own time out.

I decided to help Fin with these moments and give him his own little area to go to when he needed to get away. This doesn't help when we are in public but I think he will take himself away if he needs to. But when at home, I have bought him a den.

  

 Its nothing amazing. Ideally I would like a lovely patterned wigwam but we don't have the room for that. For now we have an Ikea play tent with cushions and blankets in. I will put in fairy lights too. But if he needs, he can go in these and hide. I have a blanket on top which can make it darker.


Hopefully my little Fin will enjoy his own space. I know the cats do anyway! xx

No comments: