Wednesday 19 June 2013

The day that changed everything

Saturday the 2nd of June was the day that changed everything forever. I was 9 weeks pregnant and about to have my first scan (which we had to pay for) to see what was going on in my belly. 

Usually you have the first scan at 12 weeks, however I had a "feeling" that I needed t see what was going on in there sooner. I don't know what it was but I knew that something wasn't normal. What ever it was I needed to know now so I could deal with it. Good or bad.

In the waiting room, which was a lot more like someone's sitting room the a ultrasound clinic, we waited for about 40 minutes (after my allotted time)  with a bladder full to bursting. 

After seeing a string of people go in and out of the sonogrophers room with smiles and sounds of 'its a boy' or 'we're having a girl' it was our turn. 

The room was dimly lit and had a lovely chaise for the mummies to be to lie on with a flat screen tv in front see what was now inhabiting our bodies.

The jelly went on - yes it's always cold. The wand was waved over my belly which didn't help the full bladder situation. On the screen appeared a gray and black fuzzy picture. Now, previous to this scan I had been googling scans for months, I knew what they should look like. However this one looked a bit more "inhabited" then the usual single baby. 

"Congratulations - you're having twins" 




There on the screen were two little bundles of cells that somehow we had managed to create. It was from this moment that we knew we would care for these little bundles for the rest of our lives. No matter what happened from now on these children are our priority and by some miracle, we had two at the same time. This made the pregnancy different to other ones. There would be more risks, more tests and more medical attention. The potential hazards were high. But we accepted our challenge and were ready to start our incredible journey as parents of twins!

No comments: